parish of greater whitbourne logo whitbourne pic edvin loach pic tedstone delamere pic upper sapey pic

Greater Whitbourne homepage
Whitbourne homepage
Our Churches
Regular services
Parish Diary
Church rotas
Who's Who
Local Ministry
Whitbourne's Bells
Tanga in Touch
Village Shop
Village Hall
Picture Gallery
Magazine
More...
Useful links
Webshop
 Spend And Raise - Parish of Greater Whitbourne


Churches in the Parish of Greater Whitbourne

EDVIN LOACH

St. Mary

HR7 4PW

Edvin Loach church

Perched on a rise with splendid views of Clee Hill to the North, and approached by a farm track, Edvin Loach has not one but two churches. The old Saxon church, now roofless, is still used once a year for the start of the Patronal service. The new church was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860.

TEDSTONE DELAMERE

St. James

HR7 4PS

Tedstone church

Approached by a footpath down a field, with views over several counties, the well-being of the church owes much to the efforts of its churchwardens, Kath and Chris Harris. This well-loved building contains much of interest. Some of the Norman parts are of tufa, and some of the more modern stained glass is from the workshops of Hardman and Kempe.
Follow this link for "A slice of life in Tedstone history" as published in the Whitbourne magazine, April 2010.

UPPER SAPEY

St. Michael & All Angels

WR6 6XR

Upper Sapey church

In spite of building work a few years ago, the church again needs expensive repair. The nave floor is slowly subsiding into the boiler room beneath, and the building appears to be coming apart at the seams.  The tower and porch were added in the 19th century, but the rest of the building is Norman,  including the elaborately carved arches. Our church architect says this is the best of our churches!
Follow this link for "A Snapshot of Sapey History" by Francis Evans, as published in the Whitbourne magazine, July 2010.

WHITBOURNE

St. John the Baptist

Boat Lane, WR6 5RS

Whitbourne church

The largest of the churches, it once served Whitbourne Court, one of the Summer Palaces of the Bishop of Hereford in days gone by. It still has a thriving choir, a team of bellringers, and a small army of cleaners and flower-arrangers. It has a ring of six bells dating from 1717, and an unusual combination of windows in the South Wall. Arboriculturalists will be interested by the gingko tree in the churchyard.

WOLFERLOW

St. Andrew

HR7 4QA

Wolferlow church

This church has sadly been made redundant and is in the process of being sold.   The hole in the roof was in a dangerous state and the few local residents were not able to raise the money to repair it.   The graveyard remains church property. There are several traces of Norman work in the building;   the fate of the 13th century carved figure of a nun, with angels holding the veil back from her face, has yet to be decided.


This page last updated on 10th January 2014 by John Bland.